We are working harder AND smarter these days. Long hours and complex challenges are the new normal. Where do you shop for the humans that step up each day to help you achieve your results? How much do you spend?
What if the most valuable gift was free of charge and added the benefit of engaging people to do their very best at work? As a leader, you have the opportunity to do just that. The gift your workers want most this year is your undivided, undistracted attention – to listen, to appreciate, to care. Your people want to feel heard. By You.
Give just 10 minutes of dedicated Listening – (that would be the part where we are not talking) – to the people on your staff and you give them a priceless gift. It’s easy in the busy, high stress, get it done world to forget that it is our #1 job to nurture the passion that drives extraordinary results.
There is a cost – you must make the time. Put it on your calendar. Keep it sacred. The payoff depends on it.
How do you have the conversation? This is the simple (perhaps not easy) part. Step 1: Ask a question or two of genuine interest about them. Step 2: Shut up and focus on the person in front of you. Here’s a few questions to get you started:
- What do you most enjoy/is important about your work? Like to do more of?
- What would you like to do less of? What are your questions or concerns?
- What’s one thing I can do to help you work better?
- What are some of your future career goals?
- What is the best recognition you ever got? Why?
- What would make things even better for you here?
- What strengths and talents do you like using at work? Would like to use more?
Give it a try this season and see for yourself how you can energize and motivate your best. You’ll be surprised what you may learn! Happy, healthy and successful New Year!